Monday, October 16, 2017

What Toronto Sun Columnist Farzana Hassan Plans to Tell the M-103 Committee

For one thing, she's going to set it straight re the non-similarity between Islamophobia and Jew-hate:
I consider equating Islamophobia with anti-Semitism highly flawed. In committee, I will argue that the two are fundamentally different, are used in very different contexts and would also have completely different ramifications in the context of M-103. 
[MP Iqra] Khalid [who is sponsoring M-103] has used the condemnation of anti-Semitism as a pretext to push for a similar response to what she considers Islamophobia. 
I would go so far as to label the demand for a motion like M-103 an unpatriotic act; it casts a harsh judgment on Canada’s existing laws and downplays its generous policies toward immigrants and refugees.
I give Hassan full props for daring to speak truth to this parliamentary committee, especially in light of the exceptionally frosty reception it accorded her colleague Tarek Fatah.

2 comments:

Unknown said...


This bill had a predecessor in the form of a motion, which failed the first time presented, then passed unanimously 22 days later. Obviously in the middle of the night when there was no opposition. I have written letters to MP's, Senators & joe blow & my friends at the Cdn Legion and I greatly fear it will go ahead because of Justin T.

Unknown said...


Yes I think Hassan has the right approach. Let's hope so for the sake of Canada's free speech future.